Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where are the Sweet Treats?

Our home usually contains some sort of sweet treat. Some may frown on this...but I find it a necessity. I don't allow my children to sit around gorging on unhealthy sugar filled treats all day, but I personally do not have a problem with enjoying goodies. We aren't talking gourmet, perfectly decorated desserts...just plain delicious sweets. At any given time we will have either brownies, cookies or cake...you know, the basic make, bake and eat treats. Most of our sweets contain chocolate. Chocolate is a life saver at times. I am sure many ladies would wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes when we get desperate we will munch on chocolate chips...not super exciting to me, but add a spoonful of peanut butter and you have yourself a real winner. On this particular day however, we have nothing! Well, we do have ice cream, but it contains NO candy pieces...that, to me, doesn't cut it. So here I am, going through chocolate withdrawal, watching the Food Network. And what are they talking about...SWEETS! I am sure I will survive, even if that means that I snack on another of our family favorites. Well, Dakota seems to have graduated from this "treat", and Devon never was a fan, but it is something that was passed down by my grandfather. It is called the Peanut Butter Deluxe. You place one or two slices of bread on a plate, smear it with peanut butter and then pour maple syrup on top. It may sound weird...but it is soooo good! I know it has no chocolate, but it has peanut butter, which is my second MUST HAVE. I just had an AHA moment! I sometimes wonder if I am passing any family traditions down to my children. The Peanut Butter Deluxe may not seem very significant, but it is SOMETHING...Right?

1 comment:

  1. Sweets are a wonderful tradition to pass down!! My Dad makes something similiar. He mixes peanut butter and honey until it is smooth and then spreads it on the bread. I remember him making it for the two of us when I was a little girl...see, treats are great memories!!

    ReplyDelete